Saturday, January 24, 2009

I have no money! Move, I can't see my cable TV.

I'm annoyed. I have a patient who has Medicaid, but in order for him to be eligible each month, he has to pay $45. Once he pays that $45, he will get to have any dental service free. Cleanings, x-rays, dentures, fillings, extractions...whatever. Free. So this guy needs some bone removed from his upper jaw before he can get dentures, but he tells me he doesn't have enough money to meet his spend-down (the $45). I felt so bad for the guy, I almost (that's almost) offered to pay his $45 so he could get his treatment done.

That is, until he starts to elaborate. He gets 600-something a month in social security. Then there's rent (fair), electric bills (fair), phone (fair), food (fair), cable (record scratch). Hold up. What? Cable costs around $50 a month! You're telling me you're willing to spend almost 10% of your total income on a luxury??

So it got me thinking. Why do so many people think cable TV (among other luxuries) is a necessity? He's not the first person I've come across who says that. I've known others who make minimum wage and have a 70" plasma TV in their living room. And I remember a patient who was on welfare, came in for her exam and filling, got it all covered by Medicaid, and then drove off in her Mercedes. What. The. Fuck.

I'm a fan of universal health care. I truly believe getting the medical attention you need is indeed a necessity. But I'm wondering how it would work in a country where most people live way beyond their means and essentially have no savings. Hey, take it out my taxes if it means the guy down the street can have insurance. But I'll be damned if he lives in a bigger house, drives a nicer car, and takes more vacations than me. That ain't right!

No comments:

Post a Comment