Monday, May 25, 2009

my own gift wrap :)

do you ever do something without planning, and wonder how you got to do it in the first place? i'm not talking about life-changing events here, i'm talking about gift wrap.

i bought a baby gift and part of the gift was a pair of white canvas shoes that had daisies on it. my thought was to buy wrapping paper that had the daisies, or just the colors that were on the shoe, and use the shoe in the wrapping. (look below, you'll see what i'm talking about)...

well i couldn't find any wrapping paper that i liked, so one night i was coloring with the kids and before i knew it, i was making my very own wrapping paper. i realized how seriously i took it when i spent more time on it long after the kids had gone to bed. let me tell you how frustrating it is to find a color marker you like only to have the marker be all dried up because some punk kid forgot to put the top on. i'm buying my own art stuff and SO not sharing!

coloring is therapy for me. i am in no way an artist, so i think just the mindlessness of doodling flowers and drawing random stuff, without any expectation of what it will look like--or what it should look like--really eases my mind. so here is my little creation (and the shoe that inspired it all!) you get to see all angles, because damn it all, i'm proud. it sort of reminds me of that first piece of pottery every parent gets from their kid, the deformed piece of shit that's supposed to be a vase, but looks more like an alien blob with a hole in the bottom. they keep it and are so proud, but you KNOW it's the sentiment and not the product. whatever people, it's my sentiment dammit.



No comments:

Post a Comment