Sunday, August 23, 2009

surprise 30th

do you remember my friend that was nice enough to humor me and sign up for the half marathon this past may? the one that walked 13.1 miles with me after i convinced what a great workout start that would be? well, her husband and i planned a surprise 30th for her. we threw around a lot of ideas, from a luau to a rooftop party on top of the observatory here in cincinnati. unfortunately, we didn't know where to have a luau, and they don't rent the observatory for private parties. so we decided that you can't ever fail with a short bus and lots of drinking. also, i learned that there are actual cool places in cincinnati (and even north kentucky...gasp!) that you can go to if you don't normally spend your friday nights at home :)

we met at a restaurant for the surprise--she had NO clue--and then hopped on the Petermann bus, which is used to transport mentally handicapped children and adults, and partied. i decorated the bus and the cake, so i got my crafty urges taken care of too :) also? lots of jello shots. i tapped into my former 21-year old self for this one. everyone had a blast, the birthday girl was genuinely surprised...party was a success :)

at Pirate's Cove at the marina, where the initial surprise took place...i say initial because the second surprise was the short bus.


the birthday cake:

(it was windy...)


On the bus:

(you can see some of the decorations. trust me, it looked good. as good as a bus for retarded people can look anyway.)

Chez Nora, a cool little jazz bar (IN KENTUCKY. HOLY SHIT.) with a rooftop deck:

(see the red wristband? that was so the bartender could keep track of who was on our tab. we're so helpfully clever!)

At some new bar, called The Righteous Room. It was...righteous. Uh...righteously crowded:

what am i saying to ario? i don't know--but i want to know!!

so. as it turns out, i enjoy throwing birthday parties for other people. it's fun planning, decorating, AND shopping for it...especially when someone else is (happily) paying for it all. if you would like my services of spending your money, call me! :)

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun. That was so nice of you. Nobody has ever thrown me a surprise party. Probably because I am so nosy I would figure it out anyway but its still a bummer anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. December 4th. I like any theme that has to do with bored strippers and looleh's. And can's of pepsi, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete